I’ve not written about football for some time. But today, it’s footie rant to wrap up the EPL season (so what if there’s a game left?).
Manchester United will end this season in 3rd place. Somehow, the team’s performance this year was even worse than the previous time they finished at the same spot.
There were too many dramas on and off the pitch. Among them:
– Beckham sold to Real Madrid (not that he’s the main reason the team performed badly)
– Chief executive Peter Kenyon leaving to join Roman Abromovich’s Chelsea. And then he tried to bring Beckham to Stamford Bridge!
– To have an over-rated defender suspended most of the season for forgetting to take a drug test. And team suddenly get shaky in defence, conceding a whole lot of stupid goals.
– Rumours of possible takeovers by major shareholders, including the American Malcom Glazer, which saw MU plc share prices tumbling.
– Ferguson vs M & M. The dispute between Sir Alex and United shareholders John Magnier (pronounced as Manger, like forest ranger) and JP McManus, which almost resulted into a hostile takeover of MU plc (see above).
– Bad strategies which saw the team losing to the likes of Portsmouth and Wolves (who’s been relegated!). Not to mention Ruud Van Nistelrooy’s dismal show when taking penalties.
Some good news among all those gloom are Louis Saha, Christiano Ronaldo and Tim Howard. All are still young and have lots of room to improve themsleves. Howard ended his first season on a bad note but I think he’s done well. Too bad his confidence was shaken towards the end. EPL is a tough league to play in. As for Ronaldo, he could do with balance training. No point having two good (and fast) feet but always falling.
sigh… Arsenal deserved to be champions. The players, especially Meesrs. Henry and Pires, worked real hard to be at the top, considering they started the season a bit shaky, with injuries and so many suspensions at the start.